Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Reflections on Ehrman and Hays

Wow! 530+ people. Who would have ever thought we'd have that many people show up for this event. I don't know that I have a ton of intellectual/theological reflections on this event but I do have some that are significant for me.

First, this is the first debate I have been at where I have seen someone left of center (Hays) articulate the gospel in response to someone who is way left of center (Ehrman). Coming from a relatively conservative tradition, I have only heard the debate play out along the following lines: if anything in the Bible is not the equivalent of a tape recorder transcript of what was said and done then the entire Bible (and Christianity) fall apart. I found Hays' articulation of the Gospel without relying upon this perspective both refreshing and compelling. I found his articulation of the Gospels being "faithful portrayals" a strong response to many of the things I experience as obstacles to the Gospel in our culture.

Second, Hays (and in some respects Ehrman) have helped me to be able to articulate the Gospel as a pastor in our culture. I have been given another model, which is new to me, about how to respond to issues and pressures that Christianity faces in our culture these days. This was, for me, a major reason for pulling this event together (and others like it). Having recently given up on inerrancy, I have been left with a vacuum about how to express biblical authority. Hays has helped fill that void. I hope we are able to host more events like this in our next two years.

So what next? What should we start planning for the next two years? How can we top this?

Peace and grace,
Tom A. (Socratic King)

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats, Tom, on a great event and great leadership. Ditto to the princes who pitched in. Thanks a ton.

It cracks me up whenever I hear you call Hays left of center. I think of him as a conservative. Actually, I think the linear metaphor is fallacious. I would simply say both he and NT Wright are neither right nor left, but rather neo-Orthodox, or something like that. I have the same difficulty when I hear people pinning a lefty label on Uncle Stan. He's neither right nor left nor in the middle. He's an ecclesial whore and I love him!

I vote that we invite Marcus Borg and Hays. Or how about James Dunn and Curtis Freeman? Or, just for kicks, how about the guy at Vanderbilt who is president of the Tillichian Society? Let him debate Wainright....Seems natural since they are both Methodist schools, at least in tradition. Or how about one of those high priests of the American Civil Religion who can argue with Hays or one of the Hauerwasians over the relationship between church and state (and non-violence).....Of course those are just ideas stimulated by my bloodlust after watching tonight....

The real point is to congratulate all who helped on this. What an excellent contribution to the life at Duke! Thanks for a job well done.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Rev. G. Thomas Martin said...

Derek made the suggestion on the ride home last night that we maybe try to tap into the vein of the Provost's lecture series for next year. Does anyone know the topic/theme for next year?

7:44 AM  
Blogger Tom Arthur said...

Borg & Wright?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Tom McGlothlin said...

Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis?

9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Come on tom, that's just absurd. Dead guys can't debate each other.

Though i wonder if at the eschaton we will debate CX style or LD...

10:48 PM  
Blogger Tom Arthur said...

I can't keep the Tom's straight on this darn blog.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Tom McGlothlin said...

Dead guys can debate each other with some good make-up and acting.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home