Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer Project **Advertisement**

I am the blogmaster, so I can do these sorts of things.

This summer, what has grown out of a personal challenge is nearing a completion of sorts. Tentatively titled, To consume and not be filled: A theological account of diet and food, it is both a study and critique of contemporary concepts of food and diet, and a sustained account of what Scripture and tradition has to say. It is also a methodological exercise in how to do theology for the lay reader.

I have rough drafts of six chapters of which I need profuse criticism. Since I have written this with two sets of eyes, I need readers who are willing to read with two sets of eyes: one looking at the meat of the argument to see if it is sound, the other to look at the language and exposition of the argument, to see if it is too technical. Those are my main concerns.

If you are interested in helping me out, please make a comment or send me an email and I will give you the link to what I have completed so far.

The basic outline is:
Chapter One: description of the Problem
Chapter Two: Old Testament
Chapter Three: New Testament
Chapter Four: Desert Fathers, Augustine, and Gregory of Nyssa
Chapter Five: Maximus the Confessor, Thomas, and Julian of Norwich
Chapter Six: Protestant and Catholic thought up through Wesley
Chapter Seven: Barth, Niebuhr, and contemporary thinkers
Chapter Eight: Vegetarianism
Chapter Nine: Dieting and eating disorders
Chapter Ten: Eucharist, Hospitality, and reversing analogies.

I have finished the chapters in bold, and I may combine chapters six and seven because, while I feel that they are important, I am just not as interested in the time periods (i.e., all of theology from 1500 to the present).

So again, just let me know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Cool. Is this for school or just a personal gig? Go ahead and send it to me, and I'll try to tackle it before school starts.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

send to me! I would love to help. And I am thrilled for you!

Blessings!
Craig

Via iPhone

8:40 PM  
Blogger Tom McGlothlin said...

Send it along. I can't promise that I'll have the time to read it through in detail, but I'm interested nonetheless.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home