Monday, July 07, 2008

Spiritualist Church Baptism

So a faithful member of your church comes to you and tells you that they were "christened" with water in the Spiritualist church. They are leader in your church and have been for a very long time. You notice that there might be a problem here. Does the UMC (or the Christian church in general) recognize Spiritual Church "christenings" with water as baptism? And what exactly is the Spiritualist practice in baptism?

I told this faithful friend and leader that the UMC recognizes baptisms that were intended to be baptisms and were done in the Trinitarian name (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). Then I passed the buck and told this friend that they needed to talk to the pastor when he got back from sabbatical since I have no sacramental authority as the interim preacher.

Thoughts? Did I handle this well? Did I get the theology right? I'd appreciate any feedback people want to give.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home