Monday, May 29, 2006

J Dub's responses

I'm not going to copy our patrist's (another coinage) email, but I will summarize the suggestions.

1) Elizabeth Clark, Mary McClintock Fulkerson, and David Aers on literary or critical theory. As a recent reader of George Steiner's Real Presences, and a skeptic of most things french (though remaining a francophile), and I'm sure many of you have heard me talk about my Milton class with Aers, so of J Dub's suggestions, I am most sympathetic to this one. This is Clark's Book

2) Dean Jones and Brodhead (and some other perspective, possibly the former president or the unnamed woman who wrote that book) on charactor formation and higher education.

3) Paul DeHart et al on Postlibs.

One further comment. The balance between knowledge of topic and attendance level is a trecherous one, but I think having a geniune conversation between unlikely conversants is the summum bonum. And this is a very academically aware campus whom I feal, especially with Smitty's first two suggestions, could get a large response.

But these are only a few options, and we have plenty of time. Come on. Nuance and suggest a little in the comments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go Tony, for saying something. I think Peter Singer would be an interesting participant in a variety of ethical panel-topics, though he is a big enough name that it might be tough to schedule for this year. However, considering King Arthur immeasurable ambition, I wouldn't put it past him.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's what stan the man's current project is on, so the curmudgeon at least has some ideas on it.

And come on phil, we all know you were a philandering rapscallion before wheaton formed your character, right?

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home