Thursday, June 29, 2006

What is a United Methodist?

Wilson longs to strengthen the Methodist presence at Duke. Phil somewhat wryly responds to Wilson's quest under my post, "Tale of a Great Blessing," "what is a Methodist?" I post that question here since it seems like a question to which those doing field education might usefully opine. I offer my two cents below.

I have catalogued my criticism of Methodists in emails and on the site and, in general, I believe those same criticisms can be applied to the so called liberal/moderate wings of the Episcopal church without unfairness. However, a strength in Wesleyanism that I have learned to value from simultaneously studying Hauwerwas and reading a biography of Cranmer is the priority of unity over orthodoxy/orthopraxy. I correlate that theme with what Hauerwas says on non-violence. A commitment to non-violence forces you to contemplate a politics that can imagine tactics other than division/violence. I believe that key Wesleyan idea has a heritage that goes back to Cranmer and is visible in the United Methodist Church in its retreat from a clearly articulated dogma or confession. See Wilson's repeated insistence that Methodists do not have a "doctrine" but only a "discipline." That strength is often received as weakness (as weak strength perhaps?) because it comes across at times as a refusal to stand for anything. And the idea "tolerance" sometimes is distorted into a relativistic apathy. But I believe that Methodism's traditional insistence on welcoming all and striving for unity with diversity is among its defining characteristics and its chief strengths. I think, for example, that's why we see the inclination, perhaps (I concede to Derrick and Wilson now) unwise, towards a radically open table. I also think the priority of unity explains why Methodists tend not to get caught up in rigorously defining/regulating the "how" of the sacraments and tolerate a broad range of liturgical scripts.

However, to that characteristic, I would add a second major trait: a historic emphasis on holiness. I think that is most famously caricatured in Steinmetz's joke about Hell, in which we find the Baptists who dance, the Methodists who drank, and the Episcopalians who used their salad fork with dessert. That emphasis on holiness of lifestyle is still in the Book of Discipline. Candidates for elder, like me, are discouraged from drinking, smoking, and sex outside of holy marriage. (It's our loving duty to help Methodist bachelors - like Wilson - remain celibate at seminary!).

I believe a third historic trait of Methodists that distinguishs them from many Anglicans and especially Episcopalians is an emphasis on evangelism. Methodists historically tend to emphasize "conversion" as a high priority over against other ecclesial goals, such as Christian formation. Note the qualifier, "historic." One thing I have learned in studying Anglicanism is that the reform movement that fostered the African Anglican churches - the one that was planted by British colonial efforts - paralleled the Methodist movement but had a distinctive emphasis on "christian formation" rather than "conversion." Hence the evangelical anglicanism that I have grown to appreciate has a relatively stronger tendency towards common worship and therefore more clear definition of liturgy and doctrine than its cousin, Methodism. I hope to reconnect those two strands in my ministry.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tom Arthur said...

A Methodist is someone who believes in Christian Perfection.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I urge those in field ed at Methodist churches to browse the first few sections of the Book of Discipline. IMHO, there one finds a fine description of distinctive traditional Methodist emphases. It would be interesting to hear how much you see reality corresponding to those statements, however. Thomas and I have wondered together if the regular intermarriage of Baptists and Methodists in the deep South has tended to forge a flavor of Methodism there that reflects more of the SBC than what we read in these pages.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I really appreciate the Methodists' "holiness of life" emphasis that you mention here, Craig. I rather wish the Anglicans/Episcopalians would emphasis this "holiness of life" bit more... and I refer here not so much to the recent difficulties but more to the attitude of, if I just show up to Sunday worship (3 times out of the month perhaps?) and get the Eucharist, I'm meeting the requirement for being "just enough" religious - no need for the rest of my life to show any effect of what I hear/receive in church. If you do get more involved in church, well then, that's really nice of you, but that's optional... and of course by doing that you do risk becoming too religious (or too Baptist? My fellow intern Lauren Winner has suggested that Episcopalians in the south excuse themselves from reading the Bible because they want to avoid looking like the Southern Baptists. a pity.). so I envy the idea in Methodism that the average believer's life outside of church should be connected to or influenced by one's dramatic experience of God! (a question for the Methodists: is that really pretty widespread, do you think? or am I just idealizing you all?)

I think it's interesting what you've said here about conversion too. Having grown up in traditions with an emphasis on conversion, I really miss it in my current experience with the Episcopal church. it seems the lack of emphasis on holiness in the Anglican tradition is tied to a lack of emphasis on conversion. In the Anglican tradition, you're already in, and that seems to negate the expectation or need for an encounter with God or a "personal relationship" with him, which might lead to that "amendment of life" that should follow confession of sin. But if John Wesley is our example, though he was born and baptized an Anglican, he still needed his heart warmed! (if I were to point to the most major "conversion" exp in my own life, it also came after my baptism, though I was baptized at the age of 11 in a Baptist church). I think that the Anglican tradition would do well to take heed of Wesley on the relationship b/t baptism and conversion/experience of God. next thing you know, I'll be leading revival meetings in our parish hall...

(a sermon by Wesley on how baptism is not equivalent to "new birth":
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/wesley/serm-045.stm)

I'm interested to hear more from Phil as an Anglican about what being in a Methodist church has been like this summer. pray tell...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and you would be à posteriori against committees. I've been reading a lot of kant, sue me.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK, I'll bite. Please translate for those of us who are mere mortals, Wilson. Thanks!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Tom Arthur said...

Whew. That was a mouth full! :)

1. Phil, can a mentally handicapped person who can't read still do/experience/whatever what you just described?

2. Wesley said (I believe in the sermon called the Great Assize) that the biggest hinderance to world evangelism was our lives as Christians. That's one reason why Christian Perfection was such a big deal to him. He saw that doctrine as the last great hurdle to world evangelism.

3. When I read Wesley and became convinced of Chrsitian Perfection and experienced at least some of it, that's when I began really to share the gospel with others. Confession: both have waxed and waned since.

Tom

P.S. I love commitee meetings, especially ones that are really well run. Really.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tom,

Can you elaborate on your #2. I don't understand how our lives as Christians are a hindrance to evangelism. What did Wesley mean by that?

10:45 PM  
Blogger Tom Arthur said...

Craig,
Here's a quote from Wesley's Sermon 63, "The General Spread of the Gospel." Just before this quote he has been describing how Christians will finally begin to behave properly and without sin:

"The grand stumbling-block being thus happily removed out of the way, namely, the lives of the Christians, the Mahometans will look upon them with other eyes, and begin to give attention to their words...And then, the grand stumbling-block being removed from the heathen nations also, the same Spirit will be poured out upon them; even those that remain in the uttermost parts of the sea."

Basically, he means that when people see the way that Christians live, too often they are not interested in Christ. But if we were to live in Christian Perfection, "the grand stumbling block" of our lives would not hinder non-Christians from seeing Christ.

Craig, when you get around to reading Wesley's sermons, you will love them. I am certain of it.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tom,
Can you suggest a Wesley sermon(s) that deals with the kingdom of God?

5:29 PM  
Blogger Tom Arthur said...

Craig,
I'm not sure what you mean by "Kingdom of God". Maybe we should begin another post titled: What is the Kingdom of God? Then once we have it defined, I can tell you which sermon best fits that category of information. :)

Here's a link that has the titles of all his sermons and links to the sermons themselves: http://gbgm-umc.org/UMHISTORY/Wesley/sermons/

He has a series on the Sermon on the Mount and so you could look up a passage from the Sermon on the MT and see what Wesley has to say about it. Good, hard stuff. No fluffy Christianity here.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home