Friday, January 05, 2007

Revolution

Brothers and sisters:

For some time I have wanted to bring something to your attention; but to do so gracefully I knew not how. But thankfully I have been trying my hand at plundering the Egyptians of late. Thoughts from our old friend Friedrich...

"Learning to think: our schools no longer have any idea what this means."

"Nothing seems to me to be rarer today than genuine hypocrisy. I greatly suspect that this plant finds the mild atmosphere of our culture unendurable. Hypocrisy has its place in the ages of strong belief: in which even when one is compelled to exhibit a different belief one does not abandon the belief one already has. Today one does abandon it; or, which is even more common, one acquires a second belief--one remains honest in any event. Beyond doubt, a very much larger number of convictions are possible today, than formerly: possible, that means permitted, that means harmless."

Those are from Twilight of the Idols: Or, How to Philosophize with a Hammer. From The Anti-Christ:

"Mankind does not represent a development of the better or stronger or higher in the way it is believed today. 'Progress' is merely a modern idea, that is to say a false idea."

Enough of that preparatio evangelica. My point, rather, my call to moral action, to courage, to thought, to revolution, is this: read 1-2 Timothy, Titus, 1-2 Peter, and Jude, and receive them for what they really are: the Word of God.

PA

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Arthur said...

Mr. PA,
I like the bit on hypocrisy. Its a rather clever critique of our culture. But I'm missing how the epistles you mention tie into that theme. Do exaplain...

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home