Monday, July 30, 2007

Gradualism and the pastorate

Okay, so, for those of us directed towards the pastorate, the overarching narrative of the biblical illiteracy and theological illegitimacy of many people in the local parish is supposedly going to be disarmed by biblical preaching and sound doctrine. Does this sound familiar?

Kind of jumping off of Phil's experience at the beginning of the summer, I would like to hear (for those willing to divulge) if there are any heresies, real or perceived, which they would not answer with gradualism?

If your interested in how I myself am framing this, I am thinking of as two poles Yoderian patience and Dr. King's I Have a Dream speech and what it says about gradualism. I know I have lambasted hypotheticals in the past (for good reason), but where would your foot go down and where would smile to yourself.

Also, this question by one of Stanley's patent responses. During the Youth Academy, after he gave his regular Spiel, one of the students asked how they should tell their church about this stuff. Stanley responded, kind of like how Porcupine's screw, very carefully.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Arthur said...

I think in my current field ed setting (which I am now continuing on through the school year), the place I would "put my foot down" would be on any expectation that allows members of the church off the hook for being involved in some way with a small group of people who are encouraging one another on in faith and good works (i.e. covenant groups, Bible study groups, accountability groups, support groups, etc.).

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home