Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pack up the Polity?

So what did you all think of the conversation today? Alongside seeing a spark in Dr. Wells that I would not have guessed was there, I have a lot to continue to think about. As per our other conversation, we heard a Duke heretic today talk about polity like it was dead weight that just needs to be abandonded. Here's what I continue to wrestle with: how much can I borrow from cultural forms around me before I so change the gospel that it is no longer the gospel? Can I borrow from marketing and the business world? I think that it can be done and that these tools can be sanctified and used for the kingdom without turning church and the gospel into a theraputic deism. This kind of borrowing is already taking place in our biblical studies department. We beg, borrow, and steal from the English school, the philosophy school, the history school. We take their methods and appropriate them for the Bible. How can we do otherwise? The gospel is, I think, always situated contextually. We must run the risk of altering it by situating it firmly in the cultural context, this is, I think an incarnational approach to minsitry.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't have too big a stake in this fight (mainly because I feel like it is the wrong kind of question(quantifying the plundering of the egyptians abstracts what is going on and assumes taking the resources of one non christian thing is the same as from another)) but I would like to point out that what biblical studies begs, borrows, and steals are all children of biblical studies to begin with. It could be said, perhaps more accurately, that we are taking back (in that situation) what is ours and we have forgotten about because we became too concerned with how "Christian" they were.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Tom Arthur said...

Wilson, I'm not sure I'm following your argument. Can you flesh that out a little more. How were these things first Christians'?

11:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

all of the modern studies housed in "humanities" came out of the church. Textual criticism of all kinds came out of biblical studies, including hermeneutics and philology, which is the basis of much of modern philosophy.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home